The world of work is changing at a rapid pace, job roles are evolving and new companies and industries are emerging. It is time to prepare our young people to thrive as the future leaders of this new era. Generation Innovation’s ‘Reimagining Work Experience’ will take place in June 2018 in Belfast.
What is Reimagining Work Experience?
Sixty Year 13 students will work as part of a team, alongside twelve of Northern Ireland’s most exciting innovation-focused companies. Each team will experience design thinking to help solve real business challenges. They will then showcase their solutions to the leaders of their assigned company.
Reimagining Work Experience is a unique three day work experience programme designed by Generation Innovation in collaboration with Deloitte, following extensive research with students, teachers and businesses.
Generation Innovation Reimagining Work Experience sets out to enable a generation of leaders who believe they can make a difference and have the skillset needed for 21st Century work.
What will you learn?
- Understand the importance of effective team working
- Understand how design thinking can be used to solve challenges faced by innovation-focused companies
- Improved understanding of the importance of feedback
- Develop & track your own personal skillset for 21st century employment:
- Resilience & Character
- Collaborative Working
- Communication & Listening Skills
- Creative Problem Solving
- Agility & Adaptability
- Critical Thinking & Empathy
What is Design Thinking?
Design thinking is a human-centred approach to solving problems. It allows people who aren't trained as designers to use creative tools such as empathy and experimentation to address a vast range of challenges.
Big Motive, a design and innovation company based in Belfast, will lead the design thinking aspect of the programme.
Who can apply?
Reimagining Work Experience is open to Year 13 students from schools & colleges across Northern Ireland. We are looking for:
- Ambitious students who want to contribute to a team challenge
- Students who are keen to solve problems faced by innovation focused companies
- Students who want to develop their 21st Century Skills for their future career
Please be aware that all students must be available on the following dates:
9th April, 15th June and 18th-20th June
Meet the companies
Meet the 12 participating companies. Click on their logos to find out more about them:
Team Building: Meet
3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Meet your team
- Meet the companies
- BBQ challenge
- Bowling challenge
Day One: Think
Business Challenge: User Experience
- Work on the challenge begins
- Introduction to design thinking
- Effective teamworking session
Day Two: Do
Business Challenge: Finding Solutions
- Prototype building
- Effective communication session
- Plan & prepare pitch for companies
Day Three: Learn
Your chosen Innovation Company
Business Challenge: Company Visit
- Tour of company
- Share learnings & solution with company leaders
- Celebratory event
Applications closed for 2018
If you are successful you will be given the opportunity to learn more about the companies and the challenges they have set.
Should you have any queries or concerns, please contact Diane Morrow, firstname.lastname@example.org or via mobile 07557 815365.
"We know the importance of helping our young people to develop skills that will allow them to become leaders in the future world of work. We need great collaborators, great communicators and great innovators"
Generation Innovation Programme Manager
Catalyst Inc ©2018 - Trading name of the Northern Ireland Science Park Group Ltd.